Friday, March 25, 2005

Mad Max...beyond Baghdad

Well, I'm here now. What a long flight. I'm disoriented about the days and times but everyone here is helping me out. I think that is what suprised me the most is the people here. Everyone is smiling, joking, laughing. It really is like a big family. Security here is very tight. We aren't in the green zone........we're in the Red. Red means danger.

It seems like everyone in this country has a gun. My being armed seems insignificant now. When I left the states, I felt like the Long Ranger....but now...just another guy with guns.

I'm sharing a computer with the other members of my compound now but soon, I will have my own computer and I can write more.

I leave tommorow but not for Mosul like I thought. The place I'm going is about 2 billion miles left of Baghdad in the middle of the desert. It should be very interesting. I do look forward to seeing the stars out there because at home, we are surrounded by city lights. No lights where I am going. I'll write more when I get my laptop.

2 comments:

Truth teller said...

Hi carprtbagger
Welcome in Iraq. where the sun is always shinning and the temperature reaches over 55 degrees centigrade at summer. let the snow melt.
Yes every one here have a gun.
I am glad you don't come to Mosul now, BUT I think the desert is not safe too.
Dont trust your orientation in the desert, it is very misleading.
take care and stay safe.

Truth teller said...

BTW the picture to the right of my comment, is portrait of my grandfather